We hope everyone is having a happy and safe Labor Day weekend! We have lots of events and activities kicking off this week including Spirit Day at Fajita Pete’s Wednesday, our order deadline for tie-dye shirts on Thursday, and Picture Day on Friday, so let’s get to it:
Back-to-School Night is this Thursday
This is a parent / caregiver only event, so please leave your Bulldog with a responsible adult or sitter, and join us for one of two identical sessions that families can rotate through. Session 1 is 5:15-5:45 p.m., and session 2 is 5:55-6:25 p.m. Teachers will present the same information at both sessions. This allows our families with more than one child to attend both sessions, one with each respective teacher.
Fall Book Fair is almost here!
The Literati Book Fair runs Monday, September 11 to Thursday, September 14. Students and staff will be able to shop the Book Fair during the school day. After-school shopping hours will be available for families on Monday 9/11 and Tuesday 9/12 from 3:30 - 6:30 p.m.
The Book Fair accepts credit cards and cash, but the easiest way for your child to shop at the Book Fair is with a Literati Gift card. These gift cards never expire and any balance can be used in future Literati Book Fairs.
The Library will host a Loved Ones Event on Saturday, September 9 from 1-5 p.m. Families are encouraged to bring their loved ones – grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and special friends – to shop the book fair and enjoy some fun activities together.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Book Fair, please submit a volunteer interest survey and register with Austin Partners In Education.
Calling All Creators! PTA Reflections Contest
Brentwood PTA is participating in Reflections, a National PTA arts program and the theme this year is “I am hopeful because...” We would love to know what makes our students hopeful! This year we will accept entries in 4 categories: photography, visual arts, literature, and film production
Students can pick up an entry form from the community room or their art teachers, or download the entry form here. Click here for the rules and guidelines from the Texas PTA website. A PTA membership is required for participation.
Program timeline includes:
- October 28th: initial entries due to Brentwood PTA – WITH A COMPLETED ENTRY FORM, and student’s name on the art – 1 of 3 ways:
1. Drop off in the Reflections box in the community room
2. Turn in to art teachers
3. Submit via email to email@example.com, subject line “Reflections entry”
- November 13-17: volunteer judges grade final entries using rubric provided by national PTA
- November 29: winners per category are announced.
- November 30th: top Brentwood entries per category advance to the Austin Council of PTAs, then to Texas PTA in January
Questions? Contact Meredith Boam - firstname.lastname@example.org or Kelli Knight - email@example.com
The arts – and the National PTA Reflections program – support student success and serve as a valuable tool for building strong partnerships in our school community. Reflections is designed to help students personally connect to artistic expression, with support and mentorship from the community. Judging follows a formula from National PTA, with emphasis on expression and articulation of the theme – I am hopeful because – over skill with a medium.
We need musicians for Music in the Morning
Music in the Morning is a Brentwood Elementary tradition that celebrates live music.
Each morning over two weeks in October, we’ll have local artists perform at our campus entrances as students and families bike, walk, and drive into school.
Are you a musician who would like to play for our bulldogs or do you know of a musician who would like to play? Sign up here: https://signup.com/go/WxJFNMV
Interested in joining Cub Scouts?
The Brentwood and Crestview neighborhood's Cub Scout Pack 49 will hold "Join Scouting Night" at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 13, at Brentwood Park. Interested families can come by, play with some pinewood derby cars, learn more about Scouting and sign up to join Pack 49. To learn more about the pack, visit https://www.pack49austin.org.
School events and important dates:
Subscribe to our new Brentwood Elementary Google Calendar to stay up-to-date on upcoming school events, holidays, and PTA activities: http://bit.ly/Bulldog-calendar.
We are proud to partner with Fajita Pete’s - MoPac for a Spirit Day on Wednesday, September 6 benefitting our school. No special code needed - all lunch and dinner orders will result in donations to Brentwood PTA. Order and pre-order at www.fajtapetes.com or call (737)332-5482. They do ask to please pick up your order on Spirit Day as they will be busy.
All tie-dye orders are due by Thursday, September 7th! Please use bit.ly/m/tiedye to purchase. For families needing assistance, Ms. McKenna has discount and free shirt codes.
Back-to-School Night will be Thursday, September 7 from 5:15-6:30 p.m. Look for communication from your child’s teacher for how your grade level will orchestrate their informational session!
School Picture Day is Friday, September 8. Dress your Bulldog in their best!
Please save the date for the return of our annual Picnic on the Playground on Wednesday, September 20. Bring dinner and hang out with new and old school friends. Don’t want to cook? We’ve got you covered! Check out these tasty options that will be available for purchase: Mixt Caribbean Blends, Crave Hot Dogs and BBQ, Crepe Crazy, and DonutNV.
Call for Volunteers:
If you are interested in being a volunteer, please submit a volunteer interest survey and tell us about your talents and interests! All volunteers will need to register with Austin Partners In Education to undergo a background check.
We need tie-dye event helpers! Interested in helping during your child’s class tie-dye event? Use this link (https://bit.ly/m/tiedye) and select ‘volunteer to be a helper.’
After-care Programs & Groups:
Sharing quick links for after-school programs for the coming school year.
- Extend-a-Care by YMCA - (5 day per week, on campus after care) learn more and register: https://www.austinymca.org/locations/extend-a-care/
- Mindfulness Club with Coach Hollander - (5 day per week, on campus after care) learn more and register: https://form.jotform.com/91297860521158
- Wonder Years Preschool - aftercare pick-up at Brentwood - learn more at http://wonderyearsprek.com
- ATX Ballers - (Tuesdays 3:15-4:15 p.m.) register at https://www.atxballers.com/register
- Chess Wizards - (Mondays 3:15-4:15 p.m.) learn more and register: www.chesswizards.com!
- Coding with Kids - (Starting September 20 - Wednesdays 3:15-4:15 p.m. for K-2nd; and starting September 21 - Thursdays 3:15-4:15 p.m. for 3rd-5th)
- Cooking & Baking Classes - (Fridays 3:15-4:15 p.m.; 1st-5th grade, two month-long sessions) learn more and register: https://cooklearngrow.com/austin-classes/
- Film Kids - (Thursdays 3:00 to 4:45 p.m.; 4th and 5th grade only) September 7th through December 14th. Call 512-567-0778 or e-mail Brian Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Go to www.filmkids.org to register and see us in action!
- Ninja Nation: Ninja drop-off after school program (M-F 3:30-5:30 p.m.) https://www.austin.ninjanation.com/afterschool
- iPiano - 60-minute program where students can learn to play the piano. Wednesdays starting September 27. To learn more visit https://ipianolab.com
- Young Rembrandts: Drawing Classes for Kids - 1st - 5th grades (Wednesdays, Sept. 20 - Nov. 15, 3:20 - 4:20 p.m.) Register here.
- Austin Youth Fitness is excited to continue running club and introduce a biking club at Brentwood! AYF has been making “fitness fun” for Austin kids and their families since 2009. Their play-based running, biking, and yoga programs help kids develop strong bodies, minds, and spirits. Teachers get a 50% discount!
Call for Entries
Have a program, event, or volunteer need that you want published in the Bulldog Bark, PTA website or social channels? Email email@example.com!